So it’s your first time doing shrooms huh? Don’t worry, we’re giving you the 411 on how to have a good first trip.
Psilocybin mushrooms aka “shrooms” or “magic” mushrooms have been around for a hot minute. Hippies around the globe have been consuming shrooms to experience their trippy high since the 60s, but psilocybin mushrooms have been used in traditional indigenous ceremonies for thousands of years.
Mushrooms are nothing new, but our perception of them has been growing and evolving as we learn more about these magical little fungi and the powers they really hold.
There’re many different uses for shrooms in the world today whether it’s ceremonial, medical or just recreational. Psilocybin is even being used in therapy type settings to treat depression, anxiety, PTSD and addiction. Click here to learn more about Psilocybin therapy.
Today we’re talking about your first time doing shrooms recreationally and how to have a safe and fun trip. Let’s get into it.
What happens when you take shrooms?
You may have seen people trip out on shrooms either in the movies or maybe you’ve just heard your friends describe their experiences, but if this is your first time doing shrooms, you probably have no idea how this all works. That’s okay, we’re here to guide you towards having the best experience possible.
Shrooms alter your perception of reality. This translates differently for each individual and no two shroom trips are ever the same! When you consume psilocybin, it’s converted into psilocin in your body which is a chemical similar to serotonin. This is what evokes feelings of joy and happiness during your trip.
Psilocin binds to the same receptors in the brain as serotonin, and this is what causes hallucinations. The intensity of your hallucinations will depend on how large of a dose you’ve taken.
It’s thought that your brain rewires some of its connections during your trip which contributes to an altered sense of reality, hence the term “tripping”. You could quite literally trip while walking. People often report wonky depth perception, impaired motor skills and slowed reaction times. So be careful, we don’t want literal tripping.
How much should I take?
If it’s your first time doing shrooms, you’re going to want to start on the lower end of the dosage spectrum. You can always take more after a couple hours if you feel you may need more, but you can never take less or undo the amount you’ve taken. To avoid a bad trip your first time doing shrooms, start small!
Here’s a general outline of dosage amounts:
Microdose: 50-500mg (a microdose is sub-perceptual, so you won’t necessarily feel it or trip out at all. Microdosing has a variety of benefits and has its own purpose, read more here, but if you’re looking for a shroom trip, you’re going to want a bit more than this!)
Low Dose: 500mg-1g
Medium Dose: 1-2.5g
High Dose: 2.5g+
As we mentioned before, it’s very important to start on the lower end of the scale when doing shrooms for the first time. Doing too much could ruin your experience, and we’re trying to have a good time here! It’s always best to measure out your shrooms with a scale (these weights are based off of dried shrooms).
Best trip practices
Here are some good practices for your first time doing shrooms:
- Make sure you’re in a safe environment. You should feel both physically and emotionally safe for your first trip. Most people like being in nature, in their backyard or up at a cabin for their magic mushroom experience
- Make sure you’re with people who you’re comfortable with and who will be there for you in case you have a bad trip. Be with people you trust!
- It’s always best to have someone with you who has done shrooms before and knows what to expect.
- Make sure you’re in a good state of mind before starting your trip. A bad mental state is the #1 thing to lead you to a bad trip.
- Plan to be where you are for 6-8 hours at least and prepare yourself beforehand. Eat a good amount of food a couple hours before, bring anything with you that you may want like water, a notebook, a comfy outfit, whatever you need to feel the most comfortable.
Tips for your first time doing shrooms!
- Be open minded and surrender to your experience. Let go of expectations, and just go along for the ride! You have the best chance of having a good trip if you’re relaxed and easy going.
- If you find yourself in a “bad trip”, ground yourself by breathing deeply and listening to calming music. Remind yourself that you’re totally safe, nothing bad is happening to you, and these feelings will subside with time. Relax and breathe into the experience.
- Eat enough food a couple hours before your trip. An empty stomach will intensify the effects of your mushrooms.
- Consume your shrooms in a convenient way such as chocolates, gummies, or in capsules which you can find here. Chewing on dried shrooms is never an enjoyable experience.
- Document your first time doing shrooms by reflecting on it and writing about it that day or the day after. You may have had some insightful messages, spiritual teachings or realizations come through that you’ll want to remember.
What to expect during your trip
Expect the unexpected during your first time doing shrooms. You may experience feelings of joy, happiness, uncontrollable laughter and giddiness, curiosity and wonderment, gratitude and a sense of connection to the people and the world around you.
Physically you may feel light on your feet, euphoric sensations and an altered perception of your senses. Most people report depth perception being off, sight being altered (hallucinations or altered visuals of what you’re looking at), heightened sense of touch or hearing, etc.
You may experience a really fun time, or a very spiritual and enlightening experience. Everyone’s first time doing shrooms is different! You could have a positive experience, a negative one, or both in the same trip, but don’t be worried! Just go along for the ride.
How long do they last?
Shrooms generally take about 2 hours to fully kick in. The height of your trip will last about 2 hours (hours 2-4 from consumption), and then your comedown will usually last from hour 4-6, sometimes up to 8 hours after consumption.
Before consuming shrooms you should know...
Although shrooms are known to be very safe for healthy people, they are not for everyone. Here’s some things you should know before your first time doing shrooms:
- You should not take shrooms if you have a heart condition, have been diagnosed with any type of psychotic disorder, or if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding
- You should not take shrooms if you’re on antidepressants such as SSRIs
- You should not take shrooms before consulting a doctor if you’re on any other prescription medication
If you have any sort of mental or physical health condition, or are on any kind of medication, you should always consult your healthcare provider before taking magic mushrooms.
All in all, psilocybin mushrooms can be a super fun, insightful, and positive experience if done the right way. Make sure you’re prepared for your first time doing shrooms so you can have the best experience possible!